Sunday, August 31, 2014

A Restart

I'm back. It's been a while but after a serious illness, I starting work again on my programming language. The have been changes and decisions made.

A Name

The first change you may have noticed is that I have decided on a name for my language: Kori. It is an old Norse word of unknown meaning. But, according to The Writer's Digest Character Naming Sourcebook:

In Irish, it means a round hill. In Gaelic, it means a ravine. In Scottish, it means a seething pool.

Three dissimilar geographic features but I thought what if it meant all of the above. That is, kori means a seething pool in a ravine on a round hill. Or in other words, a caldera. So, that's the meaning I'm going to give it. At least, until someone shows otherwise.

Some Development Tools

Here are the development tools I decided to use.

wxWidgets

I decided to write my IDE in wxWidgets. After reviewing the many different GUI libraries available, it came down to two: wxWidgets and Qt. After playing around with both, I decided that wxWidgets would be easier to use.

GNU autotools

For a build framework, I decide to use GNU autotools. This is the one used by GNU and Linux, so anyone wanting to build my IDE will be able to do so. GNU autotools works in Linux, Android, and iOS. To use it in Windows, a POSIX UNIX emulator, like cygwin, is needed.

Git & Github

Finally, I decided to use git as my revision control system. It was developed by Linus Torvalds for working with the Linux source code. Linux is big and has many, many updates per day. So any tool that deals with that traffic load must be well used, and therefore, well debugged.

And using git will allow me to post the code in Github. Github has bug tracking, so I won't have to implement my own.